We generally meet the first Friday of each month. We take turns hosting the meetings at our homes. The hostess is responsible for: 1. Beverages 2. Hosting :) 3. Posing a book suggestion for the next month 4. Coming up with at least one talking point/question about the book suggestion (or the book selected otherwise) for the next meeting. She would ask the question or suggest a talking point at the NEXT meeting. 5. In the past, hostesses have sent written or email invitations to the meeting; which is great, but not required (hostesses could even post an invite on the blog!). I will post meeting instructions here and email directions, etc. before the next meeting.
Members are responsible (generally) for reading the book of the month (or at least giving it a try) and for bringing one light appetizer to share at the meeting.
Umm...that's it! Not too complicated. I do have a few points to make as we begin again.
1. Most hostesses put a great deal of thought into the book suggestion. I know we'll all make an effort to read the book and come prepared to discuss it at the next meeting. We've been very good at this in the past; even when we couldn't finish the book or simply didn't care for it, we all made an effort to discuss it.
2. Don't stress as the hostess. If everyone brings something, it takes the pressure off and makes it a great night for trying and collecting new recipes! I can't see past my belly button because I'm near-sighted and I know for a fact a few other members just don't care, so don't worry if your house isn't spotlessly clean.
3. I looooove books and will frequently suggest other books for later or for fun. If you don't have a suggestion, just ask the "book junky" I can always think of something.
4. We will occassionally meet at a local restaurant to give the hostessing thing a break.
5. In the future, we may meet to watch a video of a book we have read as a club. What do you think?
6. I met with another local book club last year and they were very exicited about perhaps getting the two clubs together on occassion.
That's all for now.. forgive the rambling.
Our next meeting
Our next meeting will take place on Friday, February 5, at 7 p.m., at Maria's. Stay tuned for directions via email.
Word of the Month !!
Approbation: 1. approval 2. to sanction (Thanks Elizabeth...great word!)
4 comments:
I've found a few web sites that may be of interest:
Bookreporter.com
Readinggroupguides.com
bookgroupbuzz.com.booklistonline.com
Amazon has many sites devoted to book groups and book discussions as well as favorite selections.
Happy browsing! ew
Correction:
It's
Bookgroupbuzz.booklistonline.com
AND, one more:
www.goodreads.com
THANKS Elizabeth.I'll check those out today!
Post a Comment